Sunday, July 31, 2016

Ghostbusters... or Why We Should Give Up Our Childhood

The shit-storm that surrounds the newest Ghostbuster movie is ridiculous. It's one of those things that has you asking yourself, "What the fuck is wrong with people?"

Back when I was a movie critic, I used to operate in this realm of mock outrage that people really seemed to grab onto. Was my life really ruined that they made a remake of The Thing? Not really. I can still watch the original and it hasn't changed. Hell, I can watch the remake and enjoy it for its own merits. But for some people, it was like someone had just entered their mind and pissed on some of their greatest memories.

There are a certain amount of people out there who have a problem. Their lives are empty, pointless, defined by the things that they consume. Their consumptions are sacred to them, and they resist change. These are the same people that resist anything designed to make the world a happier place, simply for the sake of their inability to shift and grow. They are some sad motherfuckers. I'll say that much. And they're the type of people that scream like children, name-call, and generally make the world an annoyance to the rest of us that are getting along just fine.

If I could speak plainly to these people, I would say, "Hey, why don't you try to stop whining and develop this little thing that us grown-ups like to call an open mind?" There's nothing wrong with not liking something. I'm all for hating something once you've tried it, but to cry out and make a huge stink because you think you won't like it, or even worse, you won't allow yourself to like it? That's just mental illness, and you need to seek some sort of counseling if this is how you interact with the world.

Honestly, I call this group of anti-social shut-ins the Green Eggs and Ham Generation, because, they piss and moan about something before they've even tried it. I get it, bro. You like ham! But just because some ham is green, doesn't mean you won't like it as much. It certainly won't ruin all the memories you've had of eating regular ham.

What does this all have to do with Ghostbusters? It has the same thing to do with Ghostbusters as it has to do with Leslie Jones getting harassed so much that she basically had to leave twitter. It has to do with closed-minded simpletons loving something so much that they basically become jerks to protect their own nostalgia.

Newsflash, nostalgia is a personal feeling. Events and happenings outside of your own realm of experience don't suddenly ruin things.

Of course, what this all comes down to is the prevalence of entitlement that is ruining our country. There are so many people out there who believe that the way they think and act is the only way. The things they like are the only things worth liking. The things they hate must be universally hated. Stop thinking so highly of yourself, and honestly, stop praising others that are so self-centered that they propagate this attitude of cultural superiority to the point that they spend their time making others actually miserable.

For those of you raising children, do us all a favor and don't put your kids first all the time. Let them lose. Let them know that they don't always get their way and that this is a good thing. Put your own needs ahead of that child sometimes. Most of all, teach them to have an open mind by having an open mind yourself.

Oh yeah, Ghostbusters review... that shit was funny. Kate McKinnon was worth the price of the ticket itself. I enjoyed the special effects for the most part, which is good, because after seeing that initial trailer, I was pretty worried that it was gonna look pretty hokey.

The ultimate ghost they fight at the end of the movie was awful looking, but I think I can learn to love it. If they ever make a sequel to this, which I would hope they would, just so I could see McKinnon, I hope they develop Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy's characters more, because their 'Busters were bland. Leslie Jones was hilarious, and I liked her more than I expected, but for me, it's all about McKinnon's absurd performance.

It's not the greatest movie out there, but it's a good popcorn flick, and honestly, I love the fact that young girls finally have some cool female heroes to look up to. Anyone that sees something wrong with that, well, they've got more problems than their thoughts on Ghostbusters.

Oh yeah, this movie did not affect my love for the original Ghostbusters film in any way.

3 comments:

  1. I used to think that ghostbusters film was crap, but you've changed my mind. Also, *affect

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fixed it random editor person. Thanks for the heads-up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fixed it random editor person. Thanks for the heads-up.

    ReplyDelete