Sunday, March 15, 2015

Mom... Where Are You?



Mom... where are you?

They call,
4 in the morning,
my head spins from dream sickness.

Jacy?
Your mom has died.

Oh... oh... oh...

They hang up.

I roll over and try to go back to sleep.
It doesn't happen.
I'm glad it doesn't.

Out back, I smoke a cigarette
Unconscious,
My wife next to me,
Tears leaking from my eyes,
extensions of my love.

Oh... oh... oh...

Lying in bed,
colon cut,
uterus gone,
bladder cut,
stomach tube to feed,
pain the order of the day,

Oh... oh... oh...

She's gone now.
That hurts.
That hurts real bad.

These words,
so incapable,
incapable of communicating.

I'd pull it down,
the world,
burn it to the ground,
stomping through the ashes,
laughing,
swearing,
destroying,
for the chance to say goodbye.

Goodbye, Mom.
I know you loved my with all your heart,
every cell,
the cancer never touched that.

No comments:

Post a Comment